Vanilla Almond Cupcakes
- 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (60g) yogurt, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in the sugar – the mixture will be gritty. Whisk in yogurt, milk, vanilla and almond extracts until combined. Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Try very hard to avoid over mixing. Set aside.
- Using a whisk, a handheld mixer, or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment – beat the egg whites until until thick and foamy, about 3 minutes. Fold into cupcake batter. The batter will be smooth, velvety, and slightly thick. Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners (or 24 mini) and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake for 12-13 minutes if making mini cupcakes. Allow cupcakes to cool.
From Sally’s Baking Addiction